Thursday, October 29, 2009


So I acquired a large amount of dry beans/lentils and I just finished up using all the chickpeas in various dishes. Now onto ... adzuki beans! The only thing I've ever eaten adzuki beans in is daifuku, and then I found another recipe for a Chinese style sweet bun using the same sweet bean paste ... and it meant I didn't have to go to the store for anything, so I made these instead.

Recipe here:

I had mixed results. First I started off by burning the beans in the pot, but I was luckily able to save most of them. Making the paste was fine, but the dough threw me off. I realize it was probably because I used WWF instead of AP flour but it was all I had and I am lazy. The dough was DRY. I added some extra water so that I could actually work with it, but it was still really tricky. What I don't really understand is how I ended up with such a large dough to filling ratio. I divided the dough into 12 parts, put a tablespoon of filling in each, and well, you can see the result. There is actually a little more in there than it looks like, there is more behind the swirly parts of dough. I also burned the bottoms of all the buns a little, but not badly. They are pretty good I guess, but I wouldn't make them again without the promise of there being less dough. It just got so huge when I let it rise and then again while I steamed them. =\

1 comment: